I started this week with high hopes of running some more Torlon inlet buffers like I did back in Jan’12 (rrr… two of the LOST posts – cursed ‘puters, networks, & databases). And of course I didn’t remember precisely how I did it, not to mention finding the CNC Programs …. After driving 90 miles to get some machine time, half a day of futzing, two scrap, and zero good I decided to cut the losses, drink some beer, and called it a day to try to remember exactly how it I did it & what with.
Even the FDM2000 head didn’t cooperate — 3 screws broke loose nicely, and of course one didn’t — where’s the tiny easy-outs I had once?
Here’s the one Irish screw, and he is MURPHY!
You can see the nice crack running vertically across the left model material inlet buffer, and it had started to leak underneath the plate too. I’d really like to change both model & support while I’m in here. But for now it’s back into the box for better days (hopefully not another year later!) ….
The FDM1650 was doing much better, and I ran some parts — I swapped out the Red Model P400 and put in some natural filament.
I unload/loaded the filament a bit differently than I have been doing it and it worked REALLY well! I had been hitting the unload button, then going to the back of the machine, and pull it out. I’d swap spools, and push in from the back. I’d open the head, stick the filament into guide tube, and close the head. Then I’d hit the load button, back to the back of the machine, and push from there until it caught in the feed rollers.
This time, with the machine to temp, I opened the head, pushed the unload, and tugged the filament out from the back-side of the head. I went to the back of the machine, and pulled the filament out. Loaded a new spool in, and pushed thru from the back, then closed back end up. Back to the front, put filament into feed tube, hit load, pushed to start, and then (with gloves) closed the head up while it was squirting.
So anyway, back to the parts, the first set (a Mini DV camera mount) was about 8 hrs, had a lot of hairs and burn globs (mainly on the bosses) from filament that’s old and wet.
The support was real hard to remove, and I think it was there were so many hairs the model material & support material were really sticking together. I’m sure some had to do with the small complex geometry.
In the bottom of my machine, I’ve been storing the old descant bags to try and dry them back out. I had moved 4 from the chamber to the supply box before this run, and I moved the same when it finished. I wish I could just microwave them to dry them out, instead of this.
Descant in chamber bottom
Another idea is have like a ‘cookie cooling’ rack down there to get a better drying action with my infrequent use (I’ll have to keep my eyes open at the flea market).
The second run (pads for a model carrier) this week was much better – simpler geometry, farther into the spool, plus the extra drying, resulted in almost no hairs plus the support came of better (still not easy though). There was some lifting of the support corners from the foam base as I has backed off from 10mm overhang to 5mm.
But enough for this week, I’ve got to learn how to RC Sail, some practice racing to do, movies to take, and of course beer to drink!
My RC Victoria WIP!
(I hope I don’t sink it before the BIG race 3/9 in Monterey …. I got Beer bet on this race!)