While I had tools out, I thought I’d take a crack on the FDM 2000 head. It had a big puddle of melted model material over the inlet buffer that need to get cleanned up.
I started like I did with the FDM 1650 head
The head is a little different, with only one pair of drive rollers for each filament. The guide tube has been extended to reach the eatra distance (and seems to collect crud inside too). There’s the two outside capscrews that hold the block down. One screw is long, and the other short.
I knew I was going to need room so I pulled the other out too.
It was only half the work as one screw wasn’t there!
The material is a silver-grey, and not as nice as the tan polyimide. Also, when I started using the hot-knife to clear material I found it had a lower melting point too.
I think they were using the ABS+ model material, as this was a lot tougher to remove than the ABS Breakaway Support.
As I got further along, I found I didn’t have some Mini-Torx drivers that are needed for this job, and I ended up putting it back together ’til I get some. Here’s some photo’s of the guts…