I filed out the previous parts I made for the Z Axis DRO, as I wasn’t making any progress making new ones that were better. I fitted it in the chamber & I tacked it into place with some modeling clay. I just ran the cord out the door to the readout to see if it worked okay. I ran it up and down and everything seemed to work okay.
I thought I’d do a few quick runs to try it out. I started the program for the small QuickSlice part that I have been using as a test piece. At the first ‘pause‘ I used a 0.08 mm feeler stock between the tip & foam as a zero point for the DRO. The table went down a bit (I didn’t catch the DRO reading), the alt-tip clicked in, and the program dragged the support tip accross the foam, scoring it (maybe 0.030″ deep). The support built up in the foam, and was about level with foam when the model layer started. I was amazed the 1st model layer builds at the same Z level as the last support layer (according to the DRO). I stopped this part after the 1st model layer as I wanted to see the gap between the roads & fill, especially on the Y+. Here’s a photo, and the top Y+ gap is plainly visible.
This was really embedded into the foam! I dug it out, and started another run. This time I started 0.03″ above my previous Z Zero at the 1st ‘pause‘. The support tip didn’t drag this time, and I stopped the program after two model layers had built of the support. A photo of that part is below:
The loose strand of model material on the first layer, was getting tacked on by the second model layer. I decided to run a full part & call it a day — I started as I did previously, 0.03″ above my Z Zero. The DRO showed the table incrementing up 0.010″ each layer nicely. There were 25 model layers, and I should have a 0.250″ thick part. By the time the build got to the top, the surface was getting really ruff. The table would go down 0.020″ to move to another area, and the tip would drag accross the part. That’s probably why my Thursday part got knocked loose. Here’s a photo of the result:
The part was way over the 0.250″ thickness, and also thicker than parts I made before the Thursday Adjustments — It was 0.290″ thick!
I sure wish I knew what this FDM was doing!