Epoxied Foam – 1st Try

I had epoxied up a sheet of the old pink foam, that had problems with part removal. I wanted to make some pegs for the workmate, that I use for support removal, so the test was run making two pegs:

WorkMate Peg

WorkMate Peg

I used Insight (sparse model, and sparse support). P400 model material, and release support.

I started the run 0.005″ above the coated foam (I think — the Z-Axis DRO has been acting up). The first layers of support went down pretty nicely:

Some of the first support layers

Some of the first support layers

Things continued well:

Getting Bigger

Getting Bigger

Support for the barbs looked okay while running:

Support for barbs

Support for barbs

The finished tray of parts:

Front View

Front View

Left View

Left View

The parts were easily (almost too easily!) from the foam:

Easily lifted from foam

Easily lifted from foam

The foam was intact and not damaged at all:

No damage to foam

No damage to foam

The bottom layer of support was pretty irregular like I was too far away from the foam when I started the run:

Ruff 1st layer

Ruff 1st layer

Once I got the parts to the support removal bench, it was obivous the bottom was bowed quite a bit:

Bowed bottom

Bowed bottom

Also, the Y+ edge of the back part was completely unattached at the entry corner:

Unattached Edge

Unattached Edge

Using a mini-torch, I heated up the unattached edge, and stuck it down. It shrank a little bit being such a big area:

Fixed edge

Fixed edge

A good time to try the epoxy part finishing, so I mixed up a small batch and brushed on with an acid brush:

Epoxy coated parts setting up

Epoxy coated parts setting up

I’ll run these again of the same foam, but this time right at touch-off.

—-John

FDM2000 Lives!

I most assembled the FDM2000 today with the ABS head I got off eBay. It’s suprising how much you forget, when you dis-assembled it over a year ago……

All axis jog okay, and model & filament loaded okay.

Testing & alignment starts this week sometime (plus I gotta find a space for it).

—-John

Epoxing Pink Foam

I got some old penetrating epoxy put on the Pink Foam today. I just used a throw away brush to apply. As I was applying, the foam was dusting, and those particles became imbedded in the epoxy. It didn’t penetrate nearly as much as I hoped, but the old stuff did manage to harden up (thank goodness):

Epoxing Setup

Epoxing Setup

The surface got a lot glossier than I really wanted it to, and there’s some voids too where the epoxy wouln’t stuck down. I didn’t try applying a second coat to fill the voids, as I figured it would just make the project even glossier. I’ll scuff it up with some coarse sandpaper just before I try it.

A little too glossy

A little too glossy

BTW .. the old B&D Workmate is an excellent support removal workspace. I’ve been using a 1″ wood chisel as the main removal tool, and the Workmate has saved my fingers a lot.

I’ll give the epoxy coated foam a shot tomorrow, while I’m working on the FDM2000.

—-John

Another Pink Foam try

I needed to re-run my one-off part after some modifications, so I figured I’d try the pink foam again. I back the Z off to 0.005″ above the foam before running. The part still stuck well to the foam:

Part stuck to foam well

Part stuck to foam well

Rather than trying to pop the part off using a scraper, I tried running a wire (a potters’ cutoff tool) underneath the part to seperate from the foam base — it was better than the big divot from my 1st try, but still left some big scuffs in the old foam (the wire is in the photo too):

2nd try

2nd try

I think what I’ll try next is a thick coat of pentetrating epoxy (I’ve got some old stuff to use up before it goes completely bad). Hopefully, this will soak into the foam (and dry) to form a good stable base that won’t break away.

—-John

Pink Foam

I picked up some ‘Pink Foam’ on eBay recently. It was not in a Stratasys box, and didn’t have a Stratasys part number, so I don’t know where it came from. It was listed with son other Stratasys FDM items, so there was a chance it would work with my FDM 1650.

It fit perfectly in my tray (old yellow foam to left):

Fit in nicely

Fit in nicely

I ran a one-off part, and the support was nicely attached:

Attached well

Attached well

But, a big hunk of foam popped off when I removed the part:

Ouch!

Ouch!

I guess I’m back to looking for foam again….

—-John