‘Out of Filament’ jam-up

I was trying to use up the last coils of P400 on a spool running some small parts. The filament ran out before the job finished, and I ended up dashing in early in the morning to try and get the FDM running again. I mounted another partial spool of P400 I want to use up, and I figured I would just try to push it forcing the last end thru. That didn’t work and I just ended getting ‘Out of Filament’ errors, even though there was material in the sensor in the rear.

I decided to ‘Unload’ the small filament, but got a ‘Torque Limit’ error. So much for finishing the small parts. I pulled the head, and found a large bulb of material on the filament was preventing the filament from unloading.

bulb in filament
bulb in filament

Being half asleep and in a hurry, I put the head back in the machine and tried to get the next partial spool loaded. It just wouldn’t catch and start feeding, and I wondered if I had created another rat’s nest in the head. Pulling the head again showed it wsn’t feeding correctly at all:

Not feeding correctly
Not feeding correctly
Side view of misfeed
Side view of misfeed

So I pulled the model material motor

Blob of material on Inlet Buffer
Blob of material on Inlet Buffer
Side view of material blocking Inlet Buffer
Side view of material blocking Inlet Buffer

Clearing that away, re-assembling the head, and reloading the machine got the FDM going again. As I still haven’t figure out how to re-start an interruptted run, I started up a different job.

—-John

More clamps

Again, I ran another platter of clamps without any problems.

Front View
Front View
Left View
Left View

I won’t be posting anymore of the clamp runs, as I’m trying to use up some partial spools of P400 material, and I want to try postprocessing some parts with Epoxy Resin. More clamps will be the test pieces. I’m sure this will take many days…..

—-John

3rd time a charm

Finally on the third try I got a finished platter of Wade’s extruder parts:

Front View
Front View
Left View
Left View

There’s some creative support structures on the one part put in by Insight. I’m hoping the gears will work given my Y Axis backlash.

I forgot to enable the ‘Auto Shutdown’, so the machine cooked for several hours before I retrieved the parts. Just to flush everything out, I started another run of the clamps I did before.

—-John

Friday the 13th bad run

Well, the second run of the Wade’s Extruder parts came to abrupt end after 5AM on Friday the 13th:

Last Desktop Image
Last Desktop Image

My sending computer had the ‘Blue Screen of Death’ when I came in to retrieve the parts, but found them only 1/3 done.

Front View
Front View
Left View
Left View

Darn, they were looking pretty nice too.

I’m going to start a new build of the same parts that will get done tomorrow.

—-John

Latest parts

After almost a month of not running anything, I fired up the FDM1650 Tuesday and started a run of clamps. They were finished on Wednesday and looked pretty good:

Front View
Front View
Left View
Left View

The last time I had tried to run these, the run ended in FDM BARF, so this was a vast improvement. While I had the Insight up & the job laid out, I started a second run. This got done today and was as good as the first:

Front View
Front View
Left View
Left View

Seems like now is the time to get good runs of previous runs that did finish right, so I dug out the Wade’s Extruder models that ran out of filament about a month ago. They are running now, and ready tomorrow (I hope!).

–John