I’ve been falling behind in my posts and this is an attempt to catch up.
Back on 3/2/11, I did some special parts to test the backlash that I think I have in the FDM 1650 X-Y Stage. There were three blocks – two were identical, square with a rib running partway up each side to cause the machine to approach the vertical side from the opposite rotation; one of the blocks was rotated 45 degrees to X&Y — the third block was round. The photos:
Tips After Run
Anyway, Block #1 had the step on the front side but not on the back (the backside approach doesn’t change direction). There was no step on the left or right sides to speak of. Block #2 didn’t have any steps on any of the sides, but wasn’t square. Block #3 was out-of-round. I wanted to measure these on the CMM, but never found the time to measure them.
I think this shows I need to tighten up the Y-Axis wires to as tight as the X Axis wires are. I looked at the X-Y Stage that is out of the machine, and there are two adjustments for the Y-Axis and only one for the X Axis — I wonder why? I think I would like to do the adjustment out of the machine, so it will have to wait until summer time. Some photos of the X-Y Satge on the bench:
Cable Drum On Stepper
Left Side Adjusters (On Bench)
Right Side Adjusters (On Bench)
The cabling thru the different pulley rollers is immposible to grasp in photos, so I won’t stick them into the post. I did upload them into the gallery though (not sure how you get to it though?).
I did a number of different runs of Mendel parts. All looked pretty good considering my backlash.
Earlier in the month HaveBlue suggested lowering the flow rate to reduce some of the excess material I was getting. I did a set of calboxes at differnt flows with the MG-47 material at 255 degrees. You can read the results in the photos:
50% Flow - Slow to start
50% Flow - 0.016 Road
60% Flow - 0.020 Road
70% Flow - 0.023 Road
80% Flow - 0.028 Road
90% Flow - 0.030 Road
Definately shows a linear relationship, but below 60% Flow it seems to take to long to get the squirt started.
I’ve been getting less burnt globs on the parts running at 90% flow. When I run less than 90% the edges are unattached too often.
Some vertex parts with feet (both styles) were printed for a respooling thingy:
Also, got the printer relocated (but still on a dolly). The new setup:
Other Side Window View
I didn’t get the machine off the dolly yet, as I’m not entirely certian this placement is going to be to efficent. Since the photo’s I’ve added a ‘Photo Frame’ to the part’s table with a slide show, and a Laptop & Dock to the top of the printer for the ‘CAM’ upload & preview. The camera is located on the bottom window sill looking into the chamber. The serial upload computer also has a ‘Desktop’ CAM that uploads seperately so I can view where the build is. The only shortcoming to the CAMs is they are generating a lot of picture files (one pic every 5 seconds in a 21 hour build) …. at least they are small files!
This post doesn’t bring me up-to-date, just a bit closer. I’ll try to get another post later this week.