The run actually finished yesterday for the vertex parts, but there were other parts in the build that were still running. When I retrived them today, they looked pretty good, with less hairs & no visible burns. The only thing that I did notice is some of the edge roads were not getting connected to the fill very well. Here’s the pics of the tray full:
The tips did not seem to be as gummed up as the 100% Flow run:
I weighed a 100% Part and it was 17 grams, and a 85% Part was 14 grams. This is 82.4% by weight — pretty close to the 85% Flow setting.
I cleaned the tips up, and I’m going to run a platter of parts at 90% Flow:
I started this run yesterday, and the vertex parts finished today but two other parts in the run have another 11 hours to go. I did open the door to snap pictures during the build, and I’ll show oldest to newest below.
The first model layer was better but still looked a little ruff (I should add, I peeled the support off one of the 100% Flow vertex parts that had the ruffness, and the side against the support looked nice — just had the texture of the support, so maybe this is a non-problem):
Later, several model layers up, still ruff with some burning:
Later some more, the sparse build kicks in and things look better:
Almost end of sparse build this AM, looking nice:
Later, the first full layer after the sparse:
And then finished parts (but other parts still running):
I’ll be able to get these out tomorrow to look at them closer…..
The x axis side plate nut jigs were just as ruff on top using the sparse build as the solid build, but that was expected after the discussion on % Flow. The pictures of them:
There was some burnt plastic globs here and there:
Tips showed a lot of plastic too:
I ran some 10-high calboxes next. The pictures are rather boring so I won’t show here. Setting to 95% Flow, the free flow squirt just before modeling was 0.014-0.015 and the roads were 0.028-0.032 wide. Setting to 90% Flow, the free flow squirt was 0.014 and the roads 0.028-0.031. Lastly setting to 85%, I didn’t get a good free flow squirt as it coiled up, and the roads were 0.026-0.029. I tried a free flow by press ‘load’ but it measured 0.016, so I don’t think the % Flow is in effect for load. Another thing, when you power down & back up, the % Flow goes back to 100% — it’s just a temporary setting.
I tried to re-run the same platter of Insight parts at the 85% Flow, but Insight wouldn’t do it — it wanted to start from the begining. I decided I’d do 4 vertex parts and I have two tall parts to run also — so it’s a 32 hour run.
I’ll try to get a picture of the first model layers to compare.
Looks like it has smoothed itself out. Here’s the pic:
Wish I would have checked emails before I left as HaveBlue pointed out how I could change flow rate in a comment in a previous post. I’ll check these parts tomorrow & do a re-run (I need 1 more part anyway as I wasn’t counting too good) with a lower flow as a comparison.
I just happened to peek in the machine after I finished the last post. The first model layer, after the support is laid down, is looking pretty rough. See the following pictures — the last picture of the small parts doesn’t have the model layer yet, and it looks real smooth.
I’ll try to get some followup picture in awhile, to see if it is smoothing out any.
I resliced the flanges in Insight using the ‘sparse’ setting, and ran them overnight. They were definately better but still had some roughness on the tops, and one part had definate entry/exit marks going up the part. They are usuable though, and I think that counts right now as I try to work thru the problems. The pictures:
I sliced up two of the 6-off parts using the sparse Insight setting, and also the 2-off x axis side plate nut jig again. They will all be running in a 25 hour run — oops, just noticed I only added 5 of the frame vertex part instead of the six required…… too late now, I already started the run.
Finally, the support stuck to the foam good enough to finish the run. The parts were a little ruff on top, and on the side where the start/finish point is. No burn marks at all with the lower 250 model tip temp:
The parts were pretty loosely stuck-down to the foam, so I’ll lower the Z down some more.
While these parts were running, I noticed the Insight default settings for slicing:
I’ve been using these defaults, and with a ‘solid-normal’ slice I may have been putting down way more material than needed.
I’ve got to do a one-off part for a friend, then I’ll try the same part with the ‘sparse’ setting for the interior, to see if less material help at all.