How it started….

Back in 2006 or 2007 I bought a used Stratasys FDM 1650. This blog will chronicle getting it operational.

The machine was said to be runable. I setup an old Dell Precision computer with the Quickslice software. Connected it to the FDM with a serial cable. Powered it up & waited until it was up to temp. Then I sent a SML file to the machine & nothing happened.

I put the machine away as I didn’t have the time to futz with it.

Later I found the print head head had be ‘shrink wrapped’ in place for shipment. A hours worth of slicing & hacking got that off. The print head still wouldn’t move. I put the machine away again.

Last month, I found ‘Have Blue’, which had a lot of Stratasys info. He also had the Asymtek manuals for the X-Y Stage & Automove controller. This prompted me to dust off the machine and tear into it.